Clara’s Sugar Cookies
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (use milk with 1/2 t vinegar if you don't have buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together; eggs, sugar, and oil.
- Add buttermilk, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour, and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Batter will not be stiff.
- Allow batter sit for about 5 minutes after beating in all the flour.
- Drop 2 T of batter at a time onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Space cookies slightly as they will spread a bit.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar unless you plan to ice them.
- Bake at 400° for 8-9 minutes, do not overbake.
- If the cookie springs back when touched, it's done, edges will be just slightly golden.
- The sugar cookies are soft and fluffy, almost like cake.